Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Slippers For Soldiers and Socks For Me

Here's a picture of the type of slippers I made for the troops on Any Soldier. These slippers are modified from this pattern. I modified it by making the cuff much longer so it would stay down better when folded.

These slippers are 100% wool. I used what I had in my personal stash (not donated stash). I used Cascade 220 and Wool of the Andes. The slippers I made for the troops are exactly this pattern, except I used donated wool yarn, as well as some of my own wool yarn. My husband has a pair of slippers like these and he says they are the best slippers he's ever worn in his life.

So far I've made three pairs of men's size slippers and one pair of women's size slippers for the troops. The shipment went to a U.S. Navy unit stationed in Afghanistan, where it's very cold right now.

Here's a picture of some socks I knitted for myself. This is a basic sock pattern with a French (round) heel. The pattern on it is from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker. The pattern is called Quatrefoil. The yarn is the bare superwash merino/nylon fingering weight yarn (75% superwash merino wool/25% nylon) from Knit Picks. I love these socks, except I made them a tad too short in the length of the foot. The heel sort of pulls down underneath my foot a little bit. Next time I'll add a few more rows.

No comments: